Cover for Discoveries and Inventions of the Nineteenth Century

Project Gutenberg #54475

Discoveries and Inventions of the Nineteenth Century

Robert Routledge

1900

Routledge's illustrated survey of nineteenth-century engineering and invention, prepared chapter by chapter from Project Gutenberg HTML.

Project Gutenberg #54475 Public domain in the United States Cover source Local typographic cover created for MojiMori from public-domain source metadata

Section 66 of 93 Page 1 of 4

LIGHTHOUSES.

196 words at B2 or above
A1 A2 B1 B2 C1 C2 C2+
highlighted at or above your level
markdown

Missing dictionary data: 4 unique words are not in the dictionary data yet. Amber marks show where they appear.

Who does not regard with interest the lighthouses which at night throw their friendly beams across the sea, to guide the mariner in his course, and warn him of perils from sunken rock or treacherous shoal? The modern lighthouse, with its beautiful appliances, is entirely the result of the applied science of our age; and it affords a fine example of the manner in which experiments, carried on to determine natural laws apparently of an abstract character and without any obvious direct utility, give rise to inventions of the highest importance and most extended usefulness. The lofty structures which were erected near certain ancient harbours, and of which the Pharos of Alexandria is the most memorable example, burned on their summits open fires of wood; and whatever beacons existed from that time down to the end of last century were merely blazing fires of wood or coal. The lighthouses of the South Foreland, which were established in 1634, displayed coal fires until 1790, and the lighthouses in the Isle of Man were first illuminated with oil only in 1816. Down to the beginning of the present century, therefore, the modern lighthouses showed no improvement on the ancient plan. Even the Tour de Cordouan, at the mouth of the Garonne river, which was completed in 1610, and is one of the most famous of modern lighthouses, from its great height (200 ft.), and the care which has always been given to render it efficient, showed down to 1780 594merely a fire of billets of wood, the upward loss of the light being diminished by a rude reflector in the form of an inverted cone. In the improved means of obtaining artificial light, and in the admirable optical apparatus by which that light is utilized, we find the vast superiority of modern lighthouses. But these are sometimes erected on isolated, and almost submerged, rocks, exposed to the fury of the waves. The difficulties which have to be overcome in their construction cause some lighthouse towers to rank among the best specimens of engineering skill. We may, therefore, consider under the present headthe towers; the sources of light; the optical apparatus and its accessories. Fig. 303.—The Eddystone Lighthouse. One of the best-known lighthouses on the English coast is that on the Eddystone Rock, about 14 miles S.S.W. from Plymouth. The structure which now[9] stands upon this rock was the work of Smeaton, and was completed in 1759. The stones forming the lower courses of this tower, which is represented in Fig. 303, half in section and half in elevation, are dovetailed into the rock itself and into each other. The masonry is carried up in a solid mass for about 12 ft., the stone used being granite, which also constitutes the whole of the exterior masonry. The four upper apartments are formed with arched roofs, the side-thrust of which is counteracted by iron chains surrounding the tower. These chains, which are bedded in lead, were placed in their positions while hot, and by their contraction bound the structure together with great force. The masonry of the tower is 68 ft. high, and this is surmounted by the light-room, the total height from the lowest course of stonework to the gilt ball at the top being 94 ft., or nearly half that of the London Monument. The diameter at the base is 26 ft., and that at the top 15 ft. The light-room is of an octagonal shape, and is made of iron framework, glazed with thick plate glass. Below this are two store-rooms, a kitchen, and a bed-room. The Eddystone has now breasted the storms of more than a hundred years, and it remains as firm as the rock it is built on. Fig. 304 is a picture of this noble lighthouse, with the British fleet passing close to it, during a furious gale on the 22nd of October, 1859, or exactly a century after the completion of the structure. The incident of the man in the water, which occupies the foreground, is not an imaginary one, for it is recorded that the Trafalgar stopped in the midst of the storm to pick up a man who had fallen overboard. For eighteen hours the ships encountered the fury of the tempest, keeping out at sea in 595open order throughout the night. They wore in at dawn, came up the Channel in line of battle, steamed into Portland, and took up their anchorage without the loss of a sail, a spar, or a rope-yarn. 9. Smeaton’s tower proving unsafe, has since been taken down and replaced, in 1882, by one from Mr. Douglass’ design. Fig. 304.—The Eddystone in a Storm. The lighthouse tower on the Bell Rock is 100 ft. high, 42 ft. in diameter at the base, and 15 ft. at the top. The Inchcape Rock, on which it is placed, is the scene of Southey’s ballad of “Ralph the Rover,” and the lighthouse here is one of the most serviceable on the Scottish coast, for the 596dangerous spot on which it is placed lies in the direct track of all vessels entering the Firth of Tay from the German Ocean. The rock is submerged at spring tides to the depth of 12 ft. The tower bears a close resemblance in shape to that of the Eddystone: it is circular and faced with massive blocks of granite. The lower part, to the height of 30 ft., is solid, and the door is reached by a bronze ladder. The building contains five apartments, and a cistern for storing fresh water for the use of the keepers, who have sometimes to remain in their solitary situation for six or eight weeks together, the weather preventing the possibility of any communication with the shore. Still loftier than the tower on the Bell Rock is that which rises in the midst of the Skerryvore Reef, 12 miles from Tyree, a small island off the coast of Argyleshire. This building may be taken as a typical specimen of a detached lighthouse, and the difficulties overcome in its construction attest the skill of the engineer, Mr. Alan Stevenson, who has written a highly interesting account of the work. The rocks here are of gneiss, an extremely hard formation, and their surfaces are worn as smooth as glass by the action of the water. On one of a numerous series of these small islets, where only a narrow strip of rock, a few feet wide, remains above the surface at high water, and this divided by rugged lumps into narrow gullies, through which the sea constantly rushes, the lighthouse is built. The work was commenced in 1838 by the erection of a temporary wooden barrack on piles at a little distance from the site chosen for the foundation. In a gale during the winter the whole of this structure was swept away in one night. Another, more strongly secured, was built the following summer, and in this Mr. Stevenson and his men remained sometimes for fourteen days together, the weather preventing any passage to or from the shore: here the men were sometimes awakened from their hard-earned repose by the water pouring over the roof, and by its rushing through the crevices, while the erection swayed and reeled on its supports. Mr. Stevenson relates that one night the men became so alarmed for the stability of their shelter that some descended, and sought in cold and darkness a firmer footing on the rocks. Two summers were occupied in cutting the foundations, and the blasting of the rock in so narrow a space was an operation attended with no little danger. A small harbour had to be formed at the rocks for the vessels bringing the ready-prepared stones of the building from the quarries, where also piers were built expressly for the shipment of the materials. In designing his tower, the engineer preferred to oppose the force of the waves by the weight of his structure, rather than to rely on dovetailed or joggled-jointed stones. Measurements were made of the force of the waves, which at Skerryvore was sometimes equivalent to a pressure of 4,335 lbs. on the square foot; and calculations based on these measurements showed that the mere weight of the superstructure would amply suffice to keep the stones immovable. Nearly 59,000 cubic feet of stone were used, or about five times the quantity contained in the Eddystone Lighthouse, and the total cost of the building was £87,000. The use of iron, as a building material advantageously replacing stone, has extended to lighthouses, and many have been constructed entirely of cast and wrought iron, or partly of iron and partly of gun-metal, which is not readily acted on by the sea spray. Such lighthouses are cheap, easily and quickly erected, strong enough to bear shocks and vibrations, and proof against fire, lightning, and earthquakes. The lighthouse on Morant Point, Jamaica, is made of iron, cast in England; and it was erected in a 597few months at a cost of one-third of that of a stone tower of the same altitude. Its height is 105 ft., and the shaft is formed of iron plates in segments of 10 ft. high, which are bolted together at their flanges. At Gibbs Hill, Bermuda, is a lighthouse 130 ft. high, constructed in the same manner. So inefficient, inconvenient, and uncertain were the lamps or other means of artificial illumination known up to nearly the beginning of the present century, that nothing better could be found for the Eddystone Lighthouse for forty years after its erection than tallow candles stuck in a hoopa means of illumination which would scarcely now be tolerated even in a booth at a village fair. To M. Argand, a Frenchman, we are indebted for the first great improvement in lamps. The admirable invention which bears his name is, as everybody knows, an oil lamp with a tubular wick, which occupies the annular space between two metallic tubes, in such a manner that a current of air rises through the inner tube, and thus reaches the interior of the flame. This current, and the current which supplies the exterior, are increased by surrounding the flame with a tall glass chimney; and a contraction of the chimney, just above the flame, aids greatly in distributing the air, so as to insure the complete combustion of the oil. In the original lamp the supply of oil to the flame depended on the capillary attraction in the meshes of the wick. M. Carcel applied clockwork to continuously pump up the oil into the burner, so that, by overflowing, it was maintained at an invariable level. This arrangement added greatly to the intensity and steadiness of the light; and, on account of the uniformity of its flame, the Carcel lamp has been selected as a standard to which, in France, photometric determinations are referred. The power of the Argand lamp, as employed in lighthouses, is greatly increased by the plan of employing several concentric wicks instead of one. Between these wicks there are, of course, open spaces, through which the air obtains access to the flame, and the current of air is made more rapid by the use of a very tall chimney. The large amount of heat produced by the combustion of so much oil in a small space is partly carried off by the excess of oil which is made to overflow the burnerabout four times the quantity consumed being constantly pumped up into the burner for this purpose. Lighthouse lamps are made with two, three, and four wicks; and the oil is forced up in the burners either by clockwork or by the pressure of a piston loaded with a weight. The following table gives the sizes of the burners and the illuminating powers of the lamps: Order of Light. Number of Wicks. Diameter in inches. Intensity of Light in Carcel Lamps. 1 4 3½ 23 2 3 215⁄16 15 3 2 1¾ 5 The quantity of oil consumed in these lamps is less than that proportional to the increase of the light:—for example, although the four-wick lamp gives twenty-three times the light of the simple Argand, it only consumes nineteen times the quantity of oil. The oil used in these lamps is

Send feedback

Optional — only if you'd like a reply.